Snort mailing list archives

Re: Blocking attacking IP address for some time using Snort and PIX

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:43:07 -0400

At 07:49 PM 10/2/2003, kanwal jeet wrote:
I have implemented snort and it is working fine. The problem i have is that it is not able to block the attacking IP address. It would just log it in mysql.

I have Pix firewall and i want IDS to instruct the PIX firewall to drop all traffic coming from the source IP of the attacker and then remove the ban after a period of time has expired.

Is it possible with snort ?  i know it is possible with Cisco IDS.
Can i accomplish the same with Snort ?

Not with snort itself. Snort all on it's own is nothing more that a simple IDS. It doesn't do much of anything except log events (well, ok flexresp is part of snort too, but it's an optional part)

However there is a tool out there that interacts with the snort logging and can reconfigure a cisco pix...

Snortsam is the answer to what you want my friend.

http://www.snortsam.net/