Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem: Unknown ClassType

From: Jeffrey Pricher <jeffpricher () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:28:24 -0700 (PDT)

Russ,
Sounds like you are using the wrong rule set. This is from http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/

If you are using a version before 1.9.x, please upgrade.

If you are using 2.0.X, please use STABLE rules.

If you are using 2.1.X, please use CURRENT rules.

"Cluett, Russell" <russell.cluett () eds com> wrote:
I'm having a problem when starting Snort on a Linux box, it bonks on loading
rules, i.e.

ERROR: /snort/rules/exploit.rules(8) => UnknownClassType: shellcode-detect
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I've checked everything I can think of, can't see anything wrong with
snort.conf (but maybe I'm not seeing something)
if I # out the exploit.rules the same thing will happen on other rules.

There is a post at
http://www.mcabee.org/lists/snort-users/Oct-02/msg00577.html
but I
haven't seen any solutions.