Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Rules

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:31:06 -0400

At 09:49 AM 10/21/2003, Martin Jr., D. Michael wrote:
I have been using Snort now for only about two weeks and it has been the
best resource in the world for identifying infected machines in our
residence halls that have the Nachi/Welchi virus.  But, as all virus do,
I want to make sure that I have Snort configured with the latest rules
to find the latest viruses.

The best places to watch for new signatures are:
        1) http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/
        2) the snort-sigs mailing list
        3) the snort-users list (ie: this list).

It should be noted however that snort's got a semi-maintained-at-best status for virus rules.. Last I looked there's no official maintainer of the virus ruleset, so rules are added to it in a fairly haphazard basis whenever someone comes up with a decent rule and submits it.