Snort mailing list archives

What is snort doing to the packets

From: "Bagwell, Steve" <sbagwell () above net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:05:07 -0400

We have been getting alot of ICMP PING CyberKit 2.2 Windows alerts. The
reason behind the alert is easy enough but the Src IP and Dest IP are
confusing. The alerts scroll across the screen most of the night but are not
worth investigating because neither the Src IP or Dest IP are ever
reachable. I started capturing packets to see what was going on and all the
packets which would trigger this type of alert have legitimate Src IP and
Dest IP. What could be happening after snort runs them through the rules?

One theory is :

        The Src IP is broadcasting it's internal IP space.

Alert from E-Sentinel:

 Event - snort: [ID 702911 local5.alert] [1:483:2] ICMP PING CyberKit 2.2
Windows
 [Classification: Misc activity] [Priority: 3]: {ICMP} 192.168.100.107 ->
64.124.244.87 -

Thanks

Steve