Snort mailing list archives

Re: tippingpoint]

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:52:38 -0700

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:48:41PM -0700, Geoff wrote:
Ok had to respond to this one :)

/* snip */

Implementation of an IPS requires that you only implement signatures that
have a
VERY low rate of false positive or traffic that you just flat out don't
care if
it gets dropped.

"..only implement signatures that have a VERY low rate of false
positive.."

Yeah. That's certainly no problem, whatsoever :-/

And what do you do about traffic that represents unknown exploits?

For example: In our testing we dropped ICMP stacheldraht
Agent
to Server Hello packets. It is a very easy sig to spot. the word
"skillz" inside an ICMP echo reply packet. Rarely are we going to see that
one
in the wild with Business critical traffic.

Stacheldraht? You gotta be kidding. How old is that?

Again, what do you do about the exploits you **don't** know about?

We also dropped ICMP Welchia
packets, they consist of an echo request with 64 A's. A well known false
positive for that signature is the Yahoo keep alive packets for Instant
Messenger. We made the decision that we simply do not care about that
traffic.

Well, duh..

You seem very well prepared to protect yourself against the known...

- John
--
"Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?"
-