Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using Snort as IDS + packet logger

From: "Scot Scot" <scotw () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:45:23 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damiano Bolzoni" <damiano.bolzoni () tin it>
To: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 2:10 PM
Subject: [Snort-users] Using Snort as IDS + packet logger

Hi all,
I've just installed Snort on a Windows 2000 server. I want to use its IDS
feature but also need to log every packet (I want to make some
statistics):
shall I write a new rule in order to use IDS rules + logging features? Or
can use a mix of parameters?

Thanx
Damiano

<snip>

If you want to do statistical  packet logging I would recommend ntop

www.ntop.org

Free on the *nix platform (there are rpms for a cake install) and around
$50.00 or so (US/Euro) if you want a clean compile for the Windows platform.

http://www.snark.it/ntop/cart.php

Scot Wiedenfeld
Just my 2.0134 cents worth (tax included)