Snort mailing list archives

SCAN UPnP service discover attempt

From: "Martin Jr., D. Michael" <martinm () montevallo edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:37:28 -0500

Well I finally think I have my log file delimma solved (Thank you
SwordSoft and VIA) but no comes the big job, sorting out all this
information.

One big thing is the large number of host that apparently are coming-up
as "SCAN UPnP service discover attempt".  My research on this has been a
mixed back.  Some say this can be serious and others say it is a side
effect of XP machines.  Keeping in mind that I am seeing this in a
University environment with residence hall student network traffic...

Is the "SCAN UPnP service discover attempt" something I should worry
about?
If so, how so?
If not, why not and how can I remove it from my log alerts (I can't find
what rule in Snort may be creating this alert).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael