Snort mailing list archives

Re: Visual Intrusion Analyzer Bugs, feedback, and a little background.

From: "Eric Knight" <eric () swordsoft com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:23:48 -0600

Greetings Jeff,

Thank you for the kind words.  Although the presentation was harsh, the bug
posted was a common one that manifested itself in a way I just wasn't
expecting.  I tend to look at the bright side, so many lessons learned.

1)  The alpha test didn't catch anything because the debug code was active
and somehow the extra code "fixed" the occurances.  It was an oversight on
my part, I'm a UNIX person and the nature of WFC and Visual Studio is still
a learning experience.

2)  The problem doesn't manifest itself as frequently with small data or
very fast computers, and seems dependant on which controls are used for
navigation.  In fact, if the user presses "continue" and keeps on going, the
bug stops appearing and no data is lost.  Ugh...

3)  Just another reminder that test engineers are underpaid for their
experience.  *grins*

I'll be compiling a "would be nice" list for Snort and will submit it soon.
I had to write some interesting code to help compensate for certain
conditions that Snort already inheriantly knows but doesn't place in the
logs.  VIA did help give another "look" at the Snort output and I'm happy to
add my $0.02 to the mix.

Take it easy,

Eric