Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to get an answer to your question(s)

From: JP Vossen <vossenjp () netaxs com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:39:24 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:12:30 -0500
From: David Alonso De La Vega Tapage <delavegad () bancoaliado com>
To: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
CC: Pig-A-Holics Anonymous <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] How to get an answer to your question(s)

Maybe a good idea ..  when you try to subscribe on the snort user list
..  you need to write 100 times on the table :-D  this rules ..  and
after you ( we in all cases ) complete you " homework "  can post
messagges in the list .. !

just my 5 cents  .. !

Erek Adams wrote:

Back in January I sent the following message over to the list.  Since then
we've had quite a few new members and I think this would be a nice recap
for them.  If you've already seen this, just hit "Next Message" now.  :)

Also:

1. Don't send HTML e-mail to the list.  If you use Outlook, LEARN HOW TO SEND
ASCII messages!  (Hint: see the "Format, Plain Text" menu option.)
2. Don't send MIME, S/MIME or PGP messages.  See #1.
3. Learn how to quote [0].  Do NOT just reply to the message and leave the
whole thing dangling there.
4. Don't send large attachments to the list.  Ideally, put them on a web
server and send a URL, otherwise, offer to send off-list to anyone interested.
5. Exclude lists from your out of office notification robot.
6. Don't send HTML e-mail to the list.
7. And did I mention Don't send HTML e-mail to the list?

Also, I'm often surprised when I see a message like the following extreme made
up example.  Scan the archives if you don't believe me.  These days, e-mail
archives are forever--think about what you are doing!
        From: admin () mycompany com
        Body:
        "Hi, I'm the admin for Mycompany.  We have a Check Point Firewall and
I'm trying to use Snort to see if anyone is attacking the unpatched IIS web
servers on my DMZ.  Here is my entire network architecture <see ASCII ART>.
But I don't know much about networks, servers or Snort.  Can anyone help?"

Can you say, "Hack Me Senseless?"  Get a free mail account to post to security
and infrastructure related lists and forums.  And see the Snort rules on
"information leaks!"

:-)
JP

[0] http://learn.to/quote

JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?