Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: Strange Loopback Traffic

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:11:03 -0500

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 04:10, Jyri Hovila wrote:
I wrote about the same phenomenon to the list some time ago. Joachim had
the answer:

this behaviour could stem from the measure of some companies to disarm the
Blaster.A DDOS attack. They modified theit DNS Servers to resolve
windowsupdate.com to 127.0.0.1. By doing that, the requests of infected clients to DDOS
windowsupdate.com weren't routed over the network. But as a result of that
measure, RST ACK pakets with SRC 127.0.0.1:80 to <RandomIP> occurred, as most of
the infected clients didn't have a webserver listening on 127.0.0.1:80 and
therefore the connection was declined.
Maybe that explains the odd pakets you recognize.

That doesn't seem to fit my scenario. Where I see those packets, they
are coming from the Internet. The Src is 127.0.0.1:80 with the MAC
address of the Internet router, and destinations are
<client-IPs>:<random-high-port> with the MAC address being internal
(i.e. firewall, DMZ hosts). They are indeed TCP Reset's, but I never see
any packets going out (why should they, 127.0.0.1 isn't on the Internet
:)

I clearly see spoofed packets coming. Perhaps backscatter from
something, but unlikely. And if so, the original src addresses are
spoofed since the monitored segments don't send such stuff out.

I file this under "junk and other random noise from the Internet" :)

Cheers,
Frank