Snort mailing list archives

Re: CyberKit 2.2 Ping, its driven me Nuts..

From: lindsay.hunt () itc alstom com
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:19:02 -0500

I have found this rule to be extremely valuable in terms of finding
infected hosts. Yes, it is difficult to track down all of the cyberkit
alerts, but the trade off is much worse; an infected network. Our network
permformance was severely affected when the Nachi/Welchia worm was
released. The cyberkit rule (in addition to firewall logs) helped us
identify the infected machines so that they could be removed from the
network and cleaned. I don't really want hundreds of thousands of pings
traversing our network looking for machines to compromise.

regards,

Lindsay Hunt
Network Engineer
Alstom Power
phone 804-763-7239
mobile 804-334-1682
fax 804-763-7107

                      Roberto Suarez Soto

                      <robe () alfa21 com>                 To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net

                                                        cc:

                      Sent by:                          Subject:  Re: [Snort-users] CyberKit 2.2 Ping, its driven me
Nuts..
                      snort-users-admin () lists sour

                      ceforge.net

                      12/29/2003 11:13 AM

On Dec/29, Chris N wrote:

Ok, I have had enough of this "CyberKit 2.2 Ping." How are some of you
guys
dealing with it? Do you just ignore(pass), log every one, or go and try
shut the offending hosts down? Although, trying to shutdown all the
offending host could be a daunting task, since there are so dam many.

             I just switched that rule off. I couldn't bear it anymore O:-)

--
Roberto Suarez Soto
 Alfa21 Outsourcing

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may
be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender
immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for
any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.