Snort mailing list archives

Re: Flexresp2 installation and configuration Problem

From: "RAJNEEL DHOTRE" <rajneel_d () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 10:12:33 +0000

Thanks Matt... i am new to snort ... i am running Snort 2.0.4 ... does it support ?

I have downloaded snort-flexresp2-prepatched.tgz  ....

regards,
Rajneel

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
To: "RAJNEEL DHOTRE" <rajneel_d () hotmail com>, snort-users () lists sourceforge net Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Flexresp2 installation and configuration Problem
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:44:39 -0500

At 06:53 AM 12/23/2003, RAJNEEL DHOTRE wrote:
I have download and installed Flexresp2 and libnet. I have also add the resp:reset in icmp rules.

Um.. what do you think a resp:reset going to do to an icmp message?

resp:reset ONLY works for TCP.. it does NOT work for icmp, or udp. It can't work for icmp or udp.. It doesn't even make sense to try.

UDP and ICMP are stateless.. It is impossible to reset (or desynchronize) the connection, because there is no connection.

In the case of UDP and ICMP, your best bet is icmp_host, but bear in mind an attacker WILL ignore them.

Disclaimer about reliability:
Resp:reset can be probably evaded by a sophisticated attacker with enough tries, but icmp_host can be evaded by an amateur... however, it's your only option for stateless stuff... It is still better than nothing, but flexresp2 is not replacement for a firewall. Use it as a supplement, but keep your firewalls properly configured as your first defense.

ERROR: Unknown config directive: config flexresp2_interface:eth0
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Did you download a precompiled binary, or source code? the above message snounds like you're running a version of snort that does not support flexresp2.