Snort mailing list archives

Re: heavily switched networks

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:28:35 -0800 (PST)

--- Stewart Larsen <slarsen42 () cfl rr com> wrote:
Well, you tell me.  As a network admin in charge of security,
should I
be worried about intra-network traffic?

Would I be better off running a host-based IDS like tripwire
on the
servers I care about and only sniffing the uplink?

This is all theoretical, BTW.  But I'm researching for future
opportunities.

Well yeah, I would definitely worry about intra-network traffic.
 And in this case I believe it would be much simpler to buy
fewer switches with a port mirroring capability than to tap all
those lines or run host-based snort.

Going with your idea of tripwire and sniffing the uplink is an
option if you are less paranoid or can segregate machines at layer-2.

=====