Snort mailing list archives

Re: flow-portscan data

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:59:16 -0500

At 12:38 PM 12/22/2003, Matthew L. McCarty wrote:
Could someone please tell me where this data is logged to or stored?

I aksed this question once already but got no response -- so I reread the
documentation and still can't find anything....WTD?  Why isn't it in the
documentation and if it is -- where?

From RTing the FM, it appears that flow-portscan uses the standard alert or log mechanism.. thus the answer to "where it gets stored" is "where everything else gets stored".

From README.flow-portscan:

output-mode                  <msg|pktkludge>

  msg       - a variable text message with the scores included
  pktkludge - generate a fake pkt and use the Logging output system

certainly from that it's VERY clear output-mode pktkludge uses the standard logging system.. thus it will output to the same place as any rule that uses the log keyword.

I'd assume that msg uses either log or alert, but without a packet.