Snort mailing list archives

ICMP Time-To-Live Exceeded in Transit

From: Erwin Van de Velde <erwin.vandevelde () ua ac be>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:42:32 +0100

Hi,

I'm seeing quite a lot of these alerts with snort 2.1.0

My network: 2 computers: 1 connected to cable modem, the other connected to
the first one (ethernet) and the first uses uses masquerading for connections
from my local network (the second computer thus) to the internet.
Snort monitors both network interfaces on the first computer.

51% of all my alerts are ICMP Time-To-Live Exceeded in Transit. In comparison,
I get 38% Cyberkit 2.0 pings (Welchia & co :-) ).

What's the explanation for this? And can I get rid of those alerts by tuning
snort?

tnx in adv,
Erwin