Snort mailing list archives

Re: NMAP alerts

From: Maarten Van Horenbeeck <maarten () daemon be>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:32:00 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Bob,

I've been noticing a few PC's on our network generating large numbers of
NMAP alerts (icmp ping nmap). It seems to be caused by "CNet Download
Manager". I found this app loaded on two PCs generating the alert and,
after removing it, the alerts appear to have disappeared. Has anyone else
encountered a similar problem?

This is perfectly normal.  The Kontiki download manager (which is used by
CNET as well), sends an ICMP echo request with 0 bytes of data to the
default gateway every two seconds.  It most likely does this to assess how
good your local connection is, as part of a metric for its "secure
delivery network".  However, if you disable use of the SDN, the ICMP
packets will still continue to be transmit.

There is a small description in the signature documentation itself:
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?sid=469

Best regards,
Maarten

--