Snort mailing list archives

Re: What are the differences between and IPS and IDS?

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:46:30 -0700 (PDT)

There was an entire long thread about the IPS/IDS thing about 2
months ago.  I'm sure the archives would be very helpful.

--- "Chhabria, Kavita - Apogent" <kchhabria () apogent com> wrote:
Hello all:

I would like to understand the differences between IDS and
IPS.  We are
planning on installing snort and snortcenter and ACID,
however, I have very
limited knowledge of what and IPS is, so I would like to
understand it in
depth, more importantly, understand the diff bet IPS and IDS
so that I am
sure that we are making
the right decision to go with an IDS as opposed to an IPS.

Please provide me with the differences and advantages and
disadvantages of
each approach?

Thanks a lot,

Kavita Chhabria
Systems Developer
Apogent Technologies
(269) 544-7515
 <mailto:kchhabria () apogent com> kchhabria () apogent com

=====