Snort mailing list archives

Re: exact phrase match

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:59:13 -0500

At 03:39 PM 12/15/2003, Dan wrote:

OK...let's try this again. When I tell snort to look for "nc.exe" in the payload, I only want it to return alarms with an exact match of "nc.exe". However, it triggers alarms even when nc.exe is part of another word, such as:

"sync.exe"
"runc.exe"

Well "nc.exe" *IS* and exact match for "sync.exe"... The thing you need to determine is, what kind of delimiter bytes surround it? spaces? nulls? etc..

"phrase matching" is something natural to text, but network protocols aren't much like text.. you can't say "look for this exact word" because what defines a word in a binary packet dump?

Perhaps if you're doing webserver rules you want to look for "/nc.exe" instead?