Snort mailing list archives

Database output

From: Erwin Van de Velde <erwin.vandevelde () ua ac be>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:14:37 +0100

Hi,

I'm using a postgresql database to store the output of my snort sensors, but
what happens if the database is temporarily unavailable (for instance,
connecting fails due to a heavy load on network / database)? Does snort keep
the queries for sending when database connectivity is restored? Or are these
queries dropped?
In my opinion, storing these queries temporarily is the safest solution, as we
must certainly log data when a severe attack on our network takes place...
And then chances are bigger that we can't connect to the database
immediately.
And does snort open a database connection for every query it sends? Or is
there some sort of persistent connection (for example one that times out
after 1 minute of inactivity, closing the connection then)...
I'd like to use SSL connections to the database, using stunnel, but opening a
connection for every query would have severe consequences for network and
server.

Thanks in advance,

Erwin Van de Velde
Student of Antwerp University