Snort mailing list archives

Re: IMAGES?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:13:48 -0500

At 09:58 AM 12/10/2003, Libalele, Silulami S wrote:
Anyone who knows how to create images in Linux? I need to create images of my SNORT box.

You mean disk-to-disk images? use dd.

Copying partitions (assuming a partion exists of the same size)
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 bs=32768

copying a whole disk, partition table, boot record, and all (assuming identical sized drives)

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=32768

the bs parameter sets the block size.. the default size is too small and makes DD absurdly slow.