Snort mailing list archives

Information Not Appearing On ACID Console

From: "Kaplan, Andrew H." <AHKAPLAN () PARTNERS ORG>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:19:00 -0400

I followed the procedure to install Snort and also installed the Webmin module
that would allow me to start the program from within the web browser. I have run
into several problems.

1. I am unable to start Snort from Webmin. The error message I get is:

Running in IDS mode Log directory = /var/log/snort Initializing Network
Interface eth0 ERROR: Open Pcap() FSM compilation failed: PCAP command: %s Fatal
Error, Quitting.. 256

2. I am able to run Snort via the command line. The syntax that I use is:

#> /usr/local/bin/snort -A full -i eth0 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -v

The information does scroll across the screen. However, the network information
and alerts are nor appearing on ACID. They are being logged to an alert file
located in the /var/log/snort directory.

In short -- I can start snort only from the command line, and the ACID console
is not displaying anything.[/b]