Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Compile Error: "Undefined referenence to uncompress"

From: "Infosec Account" <INFOSEC () mcmwatch com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:01:27 -0400

I've fixed it:

I've read in many posts how zlib is needed or snort will fail to configure or compile with mysql. The trick is - you
must configure zlib into mysql, not snort, and then configure snort. Finally, last night I found a post from someone
who claimed that mysql used to have zlib support build in, and now it was missing, so you need to add it. I don't know
if the used to be part is true, but I added it in to the configure of mysql, rebuild mysql, and then snort installed
correctly.

for mysql:  configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-zlib

...And the errors magically drifted away.....

Mike

"Infosec Account" <INFOSEC () mcmwatch com> 10/7/2003 5:33:31 PM >>>
Hi All,

I'm getting the same error either during the make or configure of snort (see below for specifics) in reference to an
error with the libmysqlclient.a file and uncompress:

/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_compress_alloc':
my_compress.o(.text+0xb4): undefined reference to `compress'
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_uncompress':
my_compress.o(.text+0x12a): undefined reference to `uncompress'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [snort] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2
dbmc1:/download/snort-2.0.2#

The above is during a make, while building the mysql output plugin.

I've read about two-dozen posts on the net and tried all their suggestions before joining and posting to this group.
The error first occured during the configure, but adding --with-zlib to the config line pushed the error off until the
make. I've read several suggestions to install zlib - I've installed it, first by making it from source, then by
force-installing the debian package over it.

I even reinstalled the MySQL from scratch after the entire fiasco, but no beans.

Here is what I am using:

Debian Linux Kernel ver. 2.4.18
MySQL Ver4.0.15a - Built from source - Installed and runs fine, all permissions set.
zlib-1.1.4

Anyone have a solution that a network admin can understand?

Thanks for your help,

Mike