Snort mailing list archives

Re: difficulties in alert generation

From: risc () synpacket net
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:23:35 -0700 (PDT)

Another way to fire off alerts is to use:

http://snort.sourceforge.net/sneeze-1.0.tar

Requires Net::RawIP Perl module.

This perl script will however not fire off any stateful inspection rules.

risc

The answer is, yes, the simplest way to generate alerts is to attack your own sensor.Try installing Nessus
http://www.nessus.org/ . You  can use it to attack your network for alerts only or you can enable the "dangerous"
plugins and really get some action.
nwo

Hello all...i am new to snort...in three weeks..i was able to install snortsuccessfully and i tested snort using some
basic rulesfor which i got alerts in the ACID page...now...i set the rule files in the snort.conf file (icommented
out the rule files) but i am not getting
 anyreal alerts....i am able to log the packets into a file but until andunless we have the alerts (i.e alert
packets) we cantdifferenciate between the bad data and good data...sohow can i generate alerts using the existing
rulesets...do we have to work on the internet for a longtime(like opening websites or pornsites) when snort
isrunning.suggest me some method to generate data with theabnormalities...do we hav to attack our own network...and
if yes howdo we do that?the final thing is ...i want to generate real timealerts and i want to log data and analyze
that data...please mail me as soon as possible...thanking youregardsSantosh Bethi

  Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online. Post your profile.