Snort mailing list archives

Re: spp_rpc_decode

From: "Josh Berry" <josh.berry () netschematics com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:16:00 -0600 (CST)

I believe the Multiple RPC Record alert means that there were several RPC
requests in one packet and the Incomplete one is when one request is not
contained in one packet (split across mutltiple packets.

I don't know if that helps at all, that is the most information that I
could find.

I'm getting Incomplete RPC segment alerts as well as Multiple RPC
Records alerts.  I've read the manual and searched the archives, and I
know how to disable them, but I can't find any information on what those
alerts mean.

Can someone point me to a resource/doc that explains what those alerts
mean?

Since you can configure the ports the preprocessor decodes traffic on, I
would assume that 111 and 32771 are used in order to cover both
"standard" and SUN RPC traffic.  Is this correct?

Is there a way to specify the source port as opposed to destination
port?  The alerts I'm seeing appear to be a normal ssh session with src
port 22 and dest port 32771 (which is why the alerts are being
triggered.)  If I could specify 111 and 32771 as src ports only, that
would seem to make more sense to me.

My C skills aren't that great, but I don't see anything in
spp_rpc_decode.c that specifically identifies packets as RPC packets as
opposed to plain old TCP traffic on a port.  Did I miss something?  Or
is the assumptiont that traffic on those ports *must* be RPC?  If so,
wouldn't it make more sense to define the ports as src ports only?  Or
am I so clueless that I've completely missed the point?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member