Snort mailing list archives

[Fwd: RE: Problem with compiling snort]

From: Cedric Foll <cedric.foll () ac-rouen fr>
Date: 02 Dec 2003 16:47:45 +0100

--
==================
Cedric Foll
Ingénieur réseaux, Rectorat de Rouen
mèl: cedric.foll () ac-rouen fr
tèl: 02 35 14 77 51

"L'orgueil a plus de part que la bonté
aux remontrances que nous faisons à
ceux qui commettent des fautes; et nous
ne les reprenons pas tant pour les en
corriger que pour leur persuader que
nous en sommes exempts."
La rochefoucauld
===================
--- Begin Message --- From: "Grejda, Eric" <EGrejda () county allegheny pa us>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:10:36 -0500
When you just do a build of the Snort source code (by using the make
utility), it installs everything under /usr/local.  Things won't be broken
out into the Redhat directory structure you describe when you do that unless
you start passing further options to the configure script to set that up.
When you make an RPM file those options are set for you automatically.

I ran into the same problem you describe, and it's really easy to fix. If
you change to the directory /usr/sbin and list all of the snort files (ls
-alF snort*) you'll see two different copies of the Snort binary,
snort-mysql and snort-plain.  snort is a symlink to snort-plain, by default.
Change what the symlink points to: rm -f /usr/sbin/snort ; ln -s
/usr/sbin/snort-mysql /usr/sbin/snort and try it again.  That's what I had
to do when I was building RPMs.

By the way - great job on that.  It's made rolling Snort out on multiple
systems much, much easier.

--
Eric Grejda