Snort mailing list archives

Re: Slightly OT: high speed packet generation software

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk () geschke-online de>
Date: 01 Dec 2003 22:09:26 +0100

Hi Douglas,

I'm curious to know what everyone else uses for high speed packet
generation. I'm not so much interested in single packets, but rather,
something that can generate a lot of traffic. Noise is irrelevant, as I'm
an looking to do IDS testing. I've looked a little at a few on freshmeat
(packETH, pacgen, http_load) but have no experience with any of them. By
high speed, I mean something that'll push 100Mb/s, and (hardware allowing)
1Gb/s

Ideally, it would be nice to have something that emulated sessions between
a couple of ip addresses, but I'll take a variety of packet generation.

the false-positive-generator fpg is able to generate false positive
network packets based on a snort.conf file. This programs reads the
rules of the snort.conf file and tries to generate a network packet
with all parts necessary to generate an alert.

The program is able to generate traffic much faster than your network
(at least more than 100 Mb/s on an actual computer. I never had a
gigabit network so far...)

To compile the program you need libnet-1.1 or higher. The sources of
fpg are part of the FLoP project (http://www.geschke-online.de/FLoP).
On this page you can find a compiled version of fpg for linux/x86.

Best regards

Dirk

This program is par