Snort mailing list archives

Passive Tap Help

From: "Peters, Michael D." <Michael.Peters () acbl net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:50:41 -0500

I have been examining the diagram for the passive tap. I don't really
understand and I was hoping someone would clarify the drawing for me?

It appears to me that we have a <HOST> and the connecting Ethernet cable
going to some distant switch or hub. In the middle of that Ethernet cable is
the copper tap.

The picture in my mind is now <HOST><CABLE><TAP><CABLE><HUB>.

Inside the tap is where I think my understanding has broken down. The
picture seems to indicate that there is a crossover occurring on the actual
<CABLE> which I know would not work.

Maybe a pin out of the tap would help?

HOST SIDE A             HOST SIDE B             TAP
        1       <->             1                #?

Best regards,

Michael D. Peters
Senior Network Security Engineer