Snort mailing list archives

Re: Size of RAM required to run Snort

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:57:30 -0500

At 08:16 AM 11/24/2003, aravind babu wrote:

Hi ,

     How much RAM is required to run Snort?

Thanks in advance,

Aravind.

By sacrificing some functionality, I've successfully run snort on a 64mb machine in the past, with snort consuming 13mb. but that's not generally recommended.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=snort+mkettler+lowmem&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=bc3a58%2418vo%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=2

I currently still have portscan2 disabled, but I no longer use the "lowmem" search option. This puts snort up to about 36mb.