Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort 2.0.4 on OpenBSD 3.4 is dropping packets

From: JP Vossen <vossenjp () netaxs com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:05:24 -0500 (EST)

From: dlbox () comcast net
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:21:52 +0000
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort 2.0.4 on OpenBSD 3.4 is dropping packets

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me out here. I have Snort 2.0.4 installed
on a new OpenBSD 3.4 system.

Here is my system configuration:

<snip>

I am using a NetOptics Fiber Tap to monitor traffic. OpenBSD and Snort
work fine, except that I notice that Snort drops packets, where the
packets. I have tuned Snort (rules, binary logging, etc,) to reduce
dropped packets, but I am wondering the following:

<snip>

You may want to look at this paper on OS Scalability [0].  Very interesting,
and many bad things to say about OpenBSD's speed or lack thereof. :-(

Later,
JP

[0] http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?