Snort mailing list archives

Re: Turbo patch/PACKET_RX_RING with 2.4.x kernels

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 13:15:41 -0700

2.6 kernel does not appear to support the 2.4 ring buffer stuff.  I have
not done any further testing to find out why.

2.4 should compile with CONFIG_FILTER and CONFIG_PACKET support in the
kernel.  One thing you need to do is change /usr/include/linux and
/usr/include/asm to be sym links as follow to your linux source tree.
Something like:

# ls -ld /usr/include/linux
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 May 28 14:03 /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux
# ls -ld /usr/include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           31 May 28 13:38 /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386

And then run ./configure ... options ...

My recommendation is to stick with 2.4.  I'm thinking that the 2.6 test
kernel is still not ready for prime time.