Snort mailing list archives

Re: Who doesn't care about virus rules, and why?

From: Snortty <cwcwcwg () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:37:32 -0800 (PST)

Yes, William,

Would you mind posting your rules to illustrate the
point please?

One objective for our snort IDS to be installed on our
network backborne is to be faster in respond to the
worm incidents like those ones occurred recently and
it would help great deal if your way really works.

Thanks in advance.
S.W.

--- Iain Hallam <ccidsh () swarfega plus com> wrote:
Williams Jon wrote:
What we've ended up doing is monitoring the
default route path for
our network and watching for either TCP SYNs that
are going places
they shouldn't or TCP RST packets generated either
by the firewall or
the odd host that is actually hit.  With
thresholding, we can
generate fairly useful alerts in cases where, in
Blaster's case, one
source address sends out TCP port 135 SYN packets
to more than X
number of hosts in Y period of time.  This is so
reliable, in nearly
every case we've used it on, that we are able to
auto-generate email
alerts that go to someone else to actually _deal_
with the problem
rather than making the IDS staff track down and
call each victim
independantly.

We're doing something similar with ICMP on our
network, but how can you
tell the difference between large numbers of hosts
and large numbers of
packets to a single host? Would you mind posting one
of your rules to
illustrate the point?

Thanks,

Iain.

Program.
Does SourceForge.net help you be more productive?
Does it
help you create better code?   SHARE THE LOVE, and
help us help