Snort mailing list archives

bittorrent generating alerts

From: Daniel Guido <infiniteedge () speakeasy net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:31:52 -0500

im running a fairly standard install of snort, no heavy customizations. i seem to be getting a lot of [executable code detected] whenever bittorrent is running. its annoying because its priority 1 alerts. how do i write a rule (i guess a pass rule?) for bittorrent?

second, what is the best way to output your logs ON WINDOWS? i was dumping them into a mysql database, but i had trouble with the post-processing. acid has too many freakin dependencies. so it to syslogd and got eventsentry to email me priority 1 alerts. but theres very little data in the emails. i've been using -b so i get tcpdump logs and looking at them in ethereal, but sometimes theyre just too cryptic or dont contain enough of the session for me to tell whats going on. i still dont know how im being attacked!? somebody help!

dan
ps.  thank you