Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort 2.0.0 with libpcap-0.8.030609

From: Phil Wood <cpw () lanl gov>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:26:00 -0600

I'm running 2.0 with it ("my libpcap").  It would be interesting if you
could have two boxes, one running redhat's and the other "mine" and see
if there was any difference.  I think that redhat incorporated the same
Alexey K. mmap patch that I did.  I enhanced his patch by adding the
stats as well as a larger ring buffer.  I know for a fact that a larger
buffer gets you over some humps in traffic.  But, I also know that I
can lose packets when the going gets tough.  The stats I generate some
time help pinpoint the exact time when packets started to get dropped.
If you have additional data (possibly a tcpdump on a different box
collecting every packet (but just 68 bytes or less worth) you might
see get a hint as to just what conditions on the net are driving up
you packet loss.

BTW, check the FAQ for information about how to improve the odds.  For
example, using barnyard to do the sql or whatever post processing you
want to do, and snort to just zap out the alerts in the "unified"
format.

Later,