Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort output

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm () satx rr com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:18:17 -0500

I _think_ you can enable multiple output plugins in barnyard, but I have never tried. That would be the best solution.
I don't see why ACID couldn't be converted to use the sguildb schema, if one decided they wanted to tackle that (huge)
job.  BTW, xscriptd (the sguil component responsible for generating 'transcripts' using tcpflow) doesn't read unified
files, but the binary logs created by log_packets.sh (which is just a shell script for staring snort in packet logger
mode).  When designing sguil, I tried coming up w/a good way for only having to run one snort proc on the sensor, but
ran into problems with the way unified out is designed. I wish we could use unified alert for BY/sguil and -b (binary)
for logging packets, but unified alert doesn't contain packet info. The other option would be to run one instance of
snort logging all packets (log ip any any -> any any;) and alerts to unified out. Then having barnyard read the spool
file and write to sguildb and pcap.  That's a lot of reading/writing and wasted IO in my opinion, although I am far
from an expert on how to efficiently use resources on a sensor. Chris will probably come back and tell me what an idiot
I am and that running multiple snort procs is wasting more important resources than spooling unified to pcap.

Bammkkkk