Snort mailing list archives

Re: Squil - installation on Snort

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm () satx rr com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:51:22 -0500

Yep, I have it running and others are installing it too (http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=603).

No, there are no RPMs available for the install (yet). Rich Bejtlich recently released an updated doc for running
sguil-0.2.5 on RedHat 7.3 (http://sguil.sourceforge.net/sguil_install_guide_for_release_0-2-5.pdf). I realize
installing sguil and all its components can be complicated, but there are a number of individuals who will gladly help
you, including myself. I am not sure what 'demo' you were talking about seeing with the SourceFire rep, but I have a
server set up where people can test drive the client and decide if it is something they want to invest their time to
completely install the rest of the components (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&m=105847582924634&w=2).  You
can even test drive the client in a win32 environment by following Rich's instructions in his July 18th post to his
blog (http://taosecurity.blogspot.com).

I am not sure what is being asked in your second question. Sguil cannot use the snort/ACID DB schema. I know it's
annoying, but the topic has been addressed many times in many forums. The current snort DB schema does not scale well.
If you already have mysql installed, then it's simple to create another "database" in mysql.  On init, sguild can
create the DB and tables needed for you. A simple diagram of all the components and how they interact can be found
here: http://sguil.sourceforge.net/diagram.txt.

Bammkkkk