Snort mailing list archives

RE: O.T. Question Cisco Shunning and Snort

From: "Hutchinson, Andrew" <andrew.hutchinson () Vanderbilt Edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:23:09 -0500

I am doing this currently, using a Pix and the 'shun' capability.  I implemented this in Perl, calling out to Expect
scripts to do the actual shunning and un-shunning.  This really could be done w/ any CLI firewall or ACL-capable device
- just tweak the Expect scripts that get called.  I believe that SnortSAM also does this (I don't know if it uses
Expect, but I know it can interface w/ a number of different devices).

Blocking can be done using info logged to the 'alert' file.  The basic jist of how I personally accomplished this is:

- Open a read-handle on the 'alert' file.  Seek to the end, and start doing timed reads of the file.
- Perform regex matching of signatures specified in a conf file.
- If a match is made, parse out the offending IP address.
- Compare this IP address to addresses that A> have already been blocked (to handle cases where you get 50 alerts from
the same IP in a short period), and B> IP addresses that should never be blocked (critical links, auditing systems,
etc.)
- If the IP address passed muster (i.e. it is perceived as a legitimate bad guy), call an expect script to shun the ip
address and log it as such.

I also have a facility in place to clear the shuns after a conf-file definable duration of time.

Here's an example of how to interface w/ a pix via Expect (normally I wouldn't paste code listings, but it's pretty
short...):

**********

#!/usr/bin/expect
# Andrew Hutchinson, VUMC, 2002

set send_slow {1 .1}
set timeout 10

set badboy_ip [lindex $argv 0]
set pix_ip [lindex $argv 1]
set pix_uname [lindex $argv 2]
set pix_password [lindex $argv 3]
set pix_cipher [lindex $argv 4]

# puts "$badboy_ip\n$pix_ip\n$pix_uname\n$pix_password\n$pix_cipher\n"

spawn ssh $pix_uname@$pix_ip -c $pix_cipher
expect {
        "password:" {}
        timeout {exit 0}
}
send $pix_password\r
expect {
        ">" {}
        timeout {exit 0}
}
send "enable\r"
expect {
        "Password:" {}
        timeout {exit 0}
}
send $pix_password\r
expect {
        "#" {}
        timeout {exit 0}
}
send "shun $badboy_ip\r"
expect {
        "successful" {}
        timeout {send "exit\r";exit 0}
}
send "exit\r"

exit 1

Returns 1 if the shun is set, 0 if there's a problem / timeout.

HTH,

Andrew

Andrew Hutchinson - Network Security
Vanderbilt University Medical Center