Snort mailing list archives

Re: 2.0 bug in flow:?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:43:34 -0400

At 08:38 AM 8/1/2003 +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
Hmm, well that's where I get confused. I have stream4 and stream4_reassemble
enabled, but *don't* run snort with the "-z" option. I have some alerts
that need to trigger off "flag:S" - which I think stops working when I
enable "-z".

You shouldn't need -z to make flows work. The reason -z exists is you can use it to essentially add "flow: established" to every rule in the ruleset without having to edit them. This was probably only useful before flows became fairly common in the ruleset.

Basically I have some alerts that I want to trigger when DMZ hosts attempt
to make outgoing connections. I don't care if they succeed or not - the mere
presence of a SYN packet is enough reason to alert.

How can I use "-z" and still do that?

you don't, but you shouldn't need -z.