Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can snort be used for single host Intrusion Detection?(A newbie Question)

From: Louis Lam <lshoujun () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:20:17 +0100 (BST)

Okay, thanks, I see what you mean. I tried that too
but still manage to pick up attack traffic to another
host. Here is the scenario:

Suppose the host that has snort installed is
192.168.1.10, and i set my HOME_NET to
192.168.1.10/32.

Then i tried to use another machine 192.168.1.20 to
nmap another machine 192.168.1.30, the snort on
192.168.1.10 still can pick up the traffic and
generate alerts.

I understand that snort is more of a Netword based
IDS, but lets assume that i'm in a sad case where I
can't even trust my neighbours in the same network.
what other configuration needs to be done?

--- Erek Adams <erek () snort org> wrote: > On Wed, 2 Jul
2003, [iso-8859-1] Louis Lam wrote:

The snort configuration file allows users to
specify a
range of network addresses that it detects
activities
on. I understand that it is possible to ignore
traffic
coming from a particular host.

Is it possible to configure snort such that it
only
checks traffic coming into a particular host?

HOME_NET is best described as "the network or range
of IP's that you want
to protect."  Simply define your HOME_NET as a
single host:

      var HOME_NET 10.10.10.1/32

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

   "When things get weird, the weird turn pro."
H.S. Thompson

=====
Warmest Regards,
Louis Lam