Snort mailing list archives

Re: Error when starting snort

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:25:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Souza, Chris wrote:

I get this error when trying to start snort:

/:create/symlink failed, no inodes free

Error: OpenLogFile()=>
mkdir /var/log/snort/63.x.x.x) log directory: No space left on device

If someone knows what this error means and how i can fix it I would
appreciate any help.

Pardon me, but what's not clear about the message?  "No space left on
device" is pretty self explanatory.

        df -k

And check where /var/log would be under (partition wise).

If that's not it, check your inodes.

        df -i

ASCII logging is bad, MmmmKay?  :)  Log to binary and save your self tons
of sillyness.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams