Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with test script for Cisco vulnerability

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:43:41 -0400

2003-07-21T14:26:30 CMartin () infosol com:
I tried to implement this script to test my snort rules; however, it appears
that I don't have hping in my /usr/local/sbin directory or not in my /sbin
directory.  I am running redhat v9.

As others have mentioned, download from <URL:http://www.hping.com/>
and build yourself. If you want an rpm install, I have a spec file
I'll be glad to pass you. It's trivial.

Also I get the following error when I try to run the script (sh
exploit.sh).

exploit.sh: line 8: syntax error near unexpected token `('
exploit.sh: line 8: `foreach protocol (53 55 77 103)'

The exploit script as posted was in tcsh, which has a different
syntax from sh.

But also an interesting note, my whole /usr/local/sbin is empty.

/usr/local is reserved for non-packaged software. rpms are normally
properly written to install into /usr/sbin, /usr/bin, and so forth.

-Bennett