Snort mailing list archives

Asymmetric Data

From: "Michael L. Artz" <dragon () october29 net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:06:51 -0400

How well does snort handle asymmetric data, i.e. an incoming link but no outgoing link? I figure that most of the signatures should be fine, since most of them are looking for content and/or packet flags, but what about the preprocessors, such as stream4? Are there certain preprocessors that should be left turned off if snort is only seeing one side of the traffic? Any suggestions on how to best tune snort given only one side of a link?

I understand that it is best to get both sides together, but that is not a possibility in this case. From talking to other network admins, I understand that this is also not as uncommon as it would seem, especially dealing with high speed links.

-Mike