Snort mailing list archives

Re: Anyone got a rule for the latest Cisco bug?

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:43:10 -0700 (PDT)

If you create a variable in snort.conf for your Cisco interfaces
(including loopbacks?  hmmm...) and use that variable as the
destination instead of "any" you might actually get some good
mileage from the examples below.  Of course I'm not too familiar
with these protocols so they may have a legitimate reason to
talk directly to a router, but I doubt it (aside from NAT).

May the schwartz be with *you*

so all we can do for now is something like this:

alert ip any any -> any any (msg:"DOS Cisco SWIPE Protocol";
ip_proto:53;)
alert ip any any -> any any (msg:"DOS Cisco IP Mobility
Protocol";
ip_proto:55;)
alert ip any any -> any any (msg:"DOS Cisco Sun ND Protocol";
ip_proto:77;)
alert ip any any -> any any (msg:"DOS Cisco PIM Protocol";
ip_proto:103;)

Depending on what type of network you are on, those could be
very noisy,
so use at your own risk.  Also, if you are using
spp_conversation, it
could be picking up rogue packets if its configured properly:

preprocessor conversation: allowed_ip_protocols 1 6 17 47 89,
timeout
180, max_conversations 65535, alert_odd_protocols

That is what I'm currently using, and I haven't heard a peep
yet.

May the force be with you,

-jon

With VMware you can run multiple operating systems on a single
machine.
WITHOUT REBOOTING! Mix Linux / Windows / Novell virtual
machines at the
same time. Free trial click here:
http://www.vmware.com/wl/offer/345/0

=====