Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscan preprocessors

From: James Nonya <slave_tothe_box () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:59:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:45:24 -0400
"Mike Feetham" <mike.feetham () percepta-crm com> wrote:

I've been running Snort with Acid for awhile now,
and everything seems
to be working properly, except detection of
portscans.  I'm using Snort
2.0 on RH8, and I'm logging to a MySQL database.  I
tried enabling the
portscan preprocessor in the snort.conf file:
"preprocessor portscan:
$HOME_NET 4 3 /var/log/portscan.log".  I ran a few
portscans to test the
preprocessor, but I didn't see anything happening in
the ACID console,
though the scans appear in the /var/log/portscan.log
file.

  Next I tried disabling this preprocessor, and
enabling the
conversation preprocessor: "preprocessor
conversation:
allowed_ip_protocols all, timeout 60,
max_conversations 3000", as well
as the portscan2 preprocessor: "preprocessor
portscan2: scanners_max
256, targets_max 1024, target_limit 5, port_limit
20, timeout 60".
After restarting snort, and running a few portscans,
I'm still not
seeing anything in the ACID console.  Is there a
parameter I'm missing
to get snort to log these portscans into the MySQL
database?

Any help is appreciated,

Mike F.

Mike,