Snort mailing list archives

Re: multiple questions

From: "Raymond Norton" <admin () lctn org>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:02:42 -0500

OK, point taken.

First question:

As a novice I am not clear if the new install I just did according to the
redhat docs has a way of blocking the traffic that I get alerts on. I use
quite a few IPCop boxes with snort that block everything they log. This is
what I was hoping to accomplish when I did my new install. I see now that it
alerts, but does not stop the traffic. I read the FAQ, and see that there
are some other programs that build rules on the fly when an attack is
perceived.  I am not sure if it is necessary to implement these programs, or
if there is something in snort I can turn on to do this. I have read some
pros and cons on this, but feel in my current circumstance I would like to
block unwanted traffic.