Snort mailing list archives

Filtering alerts

From: "Richard Brackett" <rbrackett () securityvolition com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:32:40 -0400

Rather than disabling noisy rules (false positives) I've been using pass
rules to stop alerts to hosts that either aren't vulnerable to the
attack or the data is a false positive (I get a lot of those with the
Gnutella rule and HTTP/SMTP sessions). Is there another, better
methodology to use rather than pass? My Syngress Snort 2.0 book says you
shouldn't need to write many pass rules, but how the heck do you keep
the false positives and noise to an acceptable level? Do I have to go
buy a management system?

I'm using Snort 2.0.2 ACID and mysql on a SuSE 8.2 box.