Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Logs

From: "Grejda, Eric" <EGrejda () county allegheny pa us>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:52:02 -0400

When the Snort process is sent the HUP signal, it'll close the file
descriptor for that log file and reopen it,
essentially opening a new file.  You won't have to reboot the system; you
won't even have to restart Snort because
that's what the `kill -HUP` command does.  As for compressing the file, if
you have the directive 'compress' in
your /etc/logrotate.conf file the log file will be compressed as it's
rotated out.

--
Eric Grejda