Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-inline vs. firewall

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () EVI-INC COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:36:19 -0400

At 12:41 PM 9/11/2003 +0100, Always Bishan wrote:
Now we have a IPTables firewall, would it be better to
replace IPTables firewall with the IPs, since it is an
intelligent and would keep my network more secure.

Where all can I use IPS or snort-inline?

Really an IPS isn't a firewall replacement IMO, it's a supplement. The two serve a common goal, but an IPS is not a "super firewall". An IPS is inherently more prone to attack than a firewall due to it's complexity. Don't jump to the simple conclusion you can replace a firewall with an IPS and be more secure, that's simply not true.

You always want firewalling that is as reliable as possible (near 100%) for things you already know upfront you don't want in your network. This is what a firewall does, and it does so very effectively, with very little overhead, and very little risk of weakness if it's been properly designed and checked.

Personally I also adhere to the belief that your front-end firewall should be as secure as possible, and not subject to running processes which might be exploited due to bugs (ie: the stream4 bug). No web or email servers, no caching DNS servers for the inside network, no nothing, just a dedicated firewall with maybe a copy of SSH that is listening only on the inside interface. Based on that belief, I personally would never consider running snort on a front-end firewall, much less trying to use an IPS as one.

Anyone running snort 1.9.1 as a root user with stream4 enabled on their front end firewall when the stream4 bug was released for all intents and purposes had no firewall at all. An intelligent attacker could have exploited the overflow in snort, gained full root access to the firewall box, modified the firewall to allow their traffic to pass to the inside network and then proceed to attack the inside network without hindrance from the firewall.

Now admittedly a lot of this all depends on the level of attacker you are defending against. Certainly the above scenario would not happen with a skript kidde or worm because there are no working exploits floating around in the wild. And on a home network skript kiddes and worms are your only concern. However if your site were something like a sensitive DoD network at the pentagon, an attacker would have already been in long before the vulnerability was announced with this kind of weakness (which is why any high-profile target would not likely ever be configured that way in the first place). A corporate site would be somewhere in the middle, possibly attracting some attention from some of the better hackers that are just out to joy ride, but also at some degree of risk for a competitor hiring a professional hacker for industrial espionage, depending on how competitive their market is.

Personally I like a layered approach. I think one of the best configurations is to use a front-end high security firewall, followed by a completely independent IPS. The firewall drops a lot of garbage traffic, saving resources and overhead on the IPS, and also continues to offer it's protection even if the IPS is attacked. The firewall also reduces the possibility of a successful attack against the IPS. The IPS in turn expands on the level of protection offered by the firewall, expanding it to include application layer string search and detection of nontrivial attacks, which can in turn be blocked.

Any issues with it like speed, resources, maintenance?

Certainly there are some speed and resource issues on an IPS, and that's one of the reasons I have above for liking a 2 stage approach.