Snort mailing list archives

RE: System hardening

From: "Grime, Richard S" <richard.grime () imperial ac uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:22:42 +0100

The guides at http://www.cisecurity.org may also be worth a look.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: James R. Hendrick [mailto:hendrick () keane-nne com]
Sent: 03 September 2003 19:45
To: John Creegan; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] System hardening

Have to jump in here..

Stop-A or EEPROM passwords are important only to guard against people with
physical access.

If your system is in a restricted access area, they might not help much.

I would suggest following the advice of "Google for it" and find several
references on hardening UNIX in general and Solaris in particular.

The system needs to be looked at in terms of required services vs. risk.

Think about what needs to be running on the system:
- snort and its related programs
- a way to access the system (local terminal)
- a way to access the system remotely ?
- time service (so that the timestamps in the sensor logs actually mean
something)

Other than that, you should look at disabling as much as possible. The inetd
is a good place to start. The startup scripts are another good place to
look.

Learn to check the output from "netstat" to see what network services your
computer is providing. Look at the output from "ps" to see what programs are
running.

Think small. If you don't know what it is, find out. If you don't need it,
find out how to disable it.

Please take a bit of time and research this before you start implementing.

Make backups or be prepared to re-install from media. (not a bad thing to do
anyway. You can often get a more secure system by installing a minimal set
of packages. You may need to do this a few times to get to the "right" set.
For example, you may not need any development tools if you can build
software on another compatible system. If a system does not have libraries
or compilers, it is less useful for many attackers. If you don't need a
graphical environment, even better. X-windows and display managers are often
too eager to allow remote connections. If you can do without them for your
snort box, great.

Good luck.

Jim