Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscan2, where port !=X

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:39:00 -0400

At 12:16 PM 8/31/2003 -0500, Jade E. Deane wrote:
A very good point indeed.  In fact, the sensors I'm playing around with
here at home are both dual Intel Pro 200s.

Can you, or someone else on the list, provide any suggestions for
running snort on minimal hardware?

disable spp_portscan2, and spp_conversation. If you've got low memory, turn on the lowmem search option (it's in snort.conf but commented out by default)

I'm also curious, how can you (while snort is acting as a background
alert daemon) get a sense of the packet drop rate?

kill -USR1 snort's PID and then check syslog