Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and switches??

From: Bryan Irvine <bryan.irvine () kingcountyjournal com>
Date: 29 Aug 2003 10:10:03 -0700

Not necessarily.  There are indeed methods to "sniff" on any sort of
switch.   Mac Address flooding comes to mind.  The old ettercap program
does this sort of thing.  Another is to simply insert a tap, depending
on your setup, in the uplink path (www.netoptics.com for example).  I
dimly remember that SANS has some docs on "sniffing on a switched
network" somewhere on their site.  The real question is just how far are
you willing to go to sniff a switch.  MacAddress flooding, etc are
probably NOT going to be your first choices for an everyday operation.

Our network is switched like a mofo here, and I have snort running on
all the exit points.  That catches most things.  It wouldn't catch a
couple guys goofing off and smurfing each other, but it would catch a
couple of guys goofing off and smurfing the world, or the world smurfing
us :-).

That said, the only managable way (IMHO) is to use snort on the gateways
(chrooted of course).

--Bryan